Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Nano Replacement


As a connoisseur of fine music, I have been a fan of mp3 players since they first started coming out. The first mp3 player I owned was a Rio Karma 20GB. It was great for running and held pretty much all of the music that I owned, but the 20GB storage came from a hard drive so wasn't the most stable player in the world with a lot of jostling around.
A while later, Apple came out with the iPod Nano that had a solid-state drive that is more impervious to shocks. I wanted one but couldn't justify the expense given that I already had a player. Shortly after Sarita and I got married there was a deal with KeyBank where if you opened a new account you would get a new 1GB iPod Nano.The economist in me was shouting "NOTHING IS FREE!!" But the geek in me wasn't paying attention. I ended up signing up for an account and got a free white iPod Nano 1 GB. It wasn't anything fancy but worked like a charm. The KeyBank account, unfortunately, did not work out so well and we ended up cancelling the account a short while later.
I'd been enjoying the Nano for quite a number of years when recently I came across a recall for the 1st generation Nano (see Apple's official notice). While the Nano had worked out great, apparently I was at risk for having my arm blown off while running if the battery exploded. While I enjoy the use of both arms, word on the street was that Apple had a stash of old 1st generation Nano's sans deadly batteries that they were going to ship out as replacements. The replacements were projected to take at least six weeks too so I was still a bit hesitant to send mine in for replacement.

The strategy that I came up with was to go ahead and request the packaging to ship my Nano back and then wait a while before sending it in. That way they might run out of old Nanos and send me a new one. When I got my box back the other day I was pleasantly surprised to find that my strategy had worked beautifully and I ended up getting back a new Nano.

4 comments:

Mrs. Boojwa said...

LOL. Good work. Ty just bought me that same one (in blue). I love the fitness thing on it. I like knowing how far I've run and my pace, since I prefer running outside over the treadmill.

And glad you got away with both arms. But, unfortunate for the lad who had to be the reason they re-called all of them.

Barbara Rich said...

Way to go, Jesse!

Sarita said...

That's why I married you.

Anonymous said...

Um, that is pretty awesome!! Glad you still have both arms...they come in pretty handy sometimes.