Monday, September 16, 2013

Tiny Romans & Tater Tots


So, apparently the best time to take newborn photos is within the first 10 days of baby’s life, because after that baby is slightly more aware of when it’s being stuffed into baskets and flowerpots. It gets easier for baby to thwart the photographer’s artistic ambitions. Baby pretends to be hungry and fusses the whole time photographer is trying to get one good picture. The second photographer leaves, it goes to sleep for the rest of the day. 



I was in Haiti during that 10-day window of opportunity for Roman, so he had to wait a while. By the time I arrived with the camera, he had already not been in the mood for pictures for three weeks.


 
Lucas and Penny were more interested. But only for about two minutes. Penny thought the props were for her and that she was the baby. Later, when she realized we were ignoring her, she entertained herself by squeezing a whole bottle of lotion onto the floor. Lucas lost interest when I told him I already had 5 pictures of him bending over, waving his butt in the air, and that I didn’t need anymore.








I need to work on framing the subjects so that arms and legs aren’t too close to the edge. But overall, it was a good first attempt at newborns. So thank you Roman, for letting us poke you, and put itchy bow ties around your neck, and stuff you into crocheted things. 






My other client of the summer recently turned one. His hobbies include: perusing the newspaper for grocery store coupons, flirting shamelessly, and deflecting fistfuls of sand Ava throws at his head while he’s minding his own business at the beach.


Tate was also not in a fabulous mood on picture day. But like Roman, he cooperated just long enough to smile. It helped that we bribed him with popsicles and tickled him mercilessly.

Happy birthday Tate!

"Did you say 'Popsicle'?"
"I'll take 4. But I only eat freezer-burnt grape-flavored ones."
"I don't think she has any Popsicles..."
"My butt hurts!"
"This is exactly how I hoped to spend my day..."
"I give up. If I smile, maybe they'll leave me alone."

4 comments:

Barbara Rich said...

You got some good ones!

Melissa said...

Why are you so funny? And where are the pictures of Lucas's booty:)
Pictures of both turned out great, thanks so much.

Julie and Adam said...

You're just a regular on the photography circuit now. A lady of many talents you are!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up and your photos are awesome! Haiti sounded awesome/crazy. Miss you