Thursday, December 13, 2007

MLB Steroid Report - All-Roid squad

So the Mitchell Commission report came out today for Major League Baseball. I've skimmed through it to find the interesting parts and can't say that I'm surprised. All I can say is hallelujah Ken Griffey Jr. is not in the report anywhere. ESPN has put together a succinct list of the names reported and can be found here. In honor of the report coming out I thought it might be appropriate to name an All-Roid squad. Here's what I've come up with (I've chosen to pick them in light of there best seasons and not overall career performance):

1st - Mark McGwire
2nd - Chuck Knoblauch
SS - Miguel Tejada
3rd - Troy Glaus
RF - Barry Bonds
CF - Gary Matthews Jr.
LF - Dave Justice
C - Paul LoDuca
DH - Mo Vaughn
P - Roger Clemens
P - Kevin Brown
P - Eric Gagne


Let me just say that I think naming specific players was a bad idea. Everyone knows that half the league was juiced. There are other all-stars and former MVPs that have been implicated elsewhere but probably could not be substantiated for this report. I think they should have done the report in a much shorter time frame and focused on the problems and solutions, and then leveraged a trade off of amnesty for the players for more stringent guidelines going forward. Just look at the case of Roger Clemens. Nobody really has any hard evidence so far of what he's done so while it may seem clear that he was using performance enhancing drugs, what can they do more than point the finger? Especially since he's retired now.

No comments: