Thursday, August 19, 2010

The important thing about Jesse

This is the obligatory anniversary post. A bit belated, but that's how I do everything these days.

When I was in elementary school my grandma gave me The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown, author of Goodnight Moon for Christmas. It was published in 1949. I thought it was about as thrilling as going to the dentist, but that's because I had no imagination and a limited tolerance for things that looked deceptively boring. Years later I discovered that it's a useful model text for secondary language arts teachers because it follows a specific pattern that students can imitate, yet personalize in interesting ways. The author describes the important things about a variety of items found in nature. Every page starts and ends with, "The important thing about _______, is _______. In between the first and last two sentences are descriptive details. For example, here's what she says about snow:

The important thing about snow is that it is white. It is cold, and light, it falls softly out of the sky, it is bright, and the shape of tiny stars, and crystals. It is always cold. And it melts. But the important thing about snow is that it is white.

If Jesse were a page in this book, here's what it would say:


The important thing about Jesse is that he picked me.

He thinks I look nice even when I exhibit swine-flu like symptoms, and he will still let me back in the house when I return from the salon with a haircut that looks like I did it myself with my eyes closed.

He doesn't care if I bowl 10 gutter balls in a row at the bowling alley, and he can do fractions without a calculator.


Jesse looks like a man, and smells like a man.

And he does t
he laundry.

But the important thing about Jesse is that he picked me.


August 17, 2005, Salt Lake City

6 comments:

Barbara Rich said...

We are very grateful that we raised a son wise enough to pick you, Sarita. We love you too!

Jesse Rich said...

The important thing about Sarita, is that she has never given up on me. Even though our first "date" was atrocious.

Ellsworths said...

I didn't know that was from a book! My kids have used that for Mother's day cards. I remember Austin saying that the most important thing about me is that i pick his clothes out, and i guess Hunter feels my red hair is important.
Congrats! We are glad he picked you too!

Sarita said...

Ha ha Jesse, your comment is the equivalent of permission to post the first date story.

That's cute about Austin and Hunter's views on what's important!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys still look just as young. I've never actually walked around This is the Place. Looks super fun!

Katie said...

This is really sweet!